Last year we used a small table top artificial tree as our countdown to Christmas. I made origami envelopes, stuck little notes with activities inside and hung them from the tree. Although our Advent tree worked out just fine me being me wanted to try something different this year. I am really not crafty and I know when I take on a project like this something is going to go not so right but I'm ok with that. Part of my problem is I get anxious and I tend to rush! Anyway, I like how our toilet paper roll advent calendar turned out, for the most part. I wish I had lined up the rolls better but I know the kids won't mind and it will still be just as much fun. I convinced myself it's not about how pretty it looks but more about how much it's enjoyed. Sounds good to me so I'm going with it!!
Here's what I used to make our toilet paper advent calendar:
- Christmas tray from Dollar Tree
- Toilet paper rolls cut in half
- Red and Green tissue paper
- Hot glue gun
- Paper (to write our activities on)
- Treats (used chocolates)
- Black marker
- Cut your toilet paper rolls in half
- Cut circles of tissue paper enough to fit over one end of the roll (I used a 1/2 cup measuring cup which was the right diameter.)
- Use hot glue gun to make a light bead of glue around the tp roll - not on the rim but just a smidge down from the rim of the roll. Just enough so the tissue paper will fold over the glue. (the tissue paper does not need alot of glue to adhere)
- Attach the tissue paper
- With black marker write the numbers 1-25 or 1-24 whichever you prefer
- Once above is complete add whatever you would like inside the tp roll. We are doing activities some days and I'm giving treats on other days. For the activities I wrote on a piece of paper what we will be doing and added it inside the tp roll. For treats I just added candy inside.
- After that, add another bead of glue around the rim of the tp roll and carefully turn it onto the tray.
This is where ours will hang beginning December 1st! Let the countdown begin!