Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Dragons Love Tacos Book and Craft


My daughter was given a book called, Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin as a gift from her Preschool last Christmas. We have read this book so many times and each time she laughs as done my 8 year old.  The book is about hosting a taco party for dragons!  The dragons love tacos but hate spicy salsa even more!  So when it comes time for the taco party what could possibly go wrong??

I thought pairing the story with a taco craft would be fun.  I literally got the supplies ready within minutes for this craft and most everything we used are common craft supplies which are:

Construction paper (red, green, orange and yellow)
Scissors
Glue stick
Paper plate (optional)

I would have used paper plates for each of us but only had one on hand so I used that one to make my very own Mommy taco creation!  Here's how to do it:

You can draw a circle onto the construction paper or trace a paper plate to make your circle.   Cut out circle from the paper and fold almost totally in half but not quite - doing it this way will help see the taco toppings better!  This will be your 'taco shell!'  If using a paper plate instead mix together yellow and brown paint to make a lighter brown color, paint the plate, dry and fold paper plate almost in half just as you would with the paper.

This next part is great for working on scissor cutting/fine motor skills.  Have your child cut strips of paper for the cheese and for the lettuce.  I already had some shredded green paper from our letter matching activity so we used that.  For the tomatoes they can do the same thing or they can try and cut circles for the tomatoes.



Last part is just taking the glue stick rubbing it onto the paper or plate and then sticking on the taco toppings!



They both decided to write something on the taco shell.  My son wrote the word Taco on the side of his but he put the "c" in the wrong place and then scribbled over it.  They both ended up writing their names and my son added a little smiley face too!

We all had fun creating tacos!!

8 year old's taco

4 year old's taco

Mom's taco

p.s. these are veggie tacos only - had no brown paper for the meat!







23 comments:

  1. Cute craft! I bet my son would love that book -- got to look for it! Pinning to my book activities board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great book! We were at the bookstore yesterday and he was torn between this book and Chika Chika 123. He decided on Chika Chika 123, but said next time he will get that book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He won't be disappointed, it's such a fun book!!

      Delete
  3. Why have I not read this book? I know my kiddos would enjoy taco-eating dragons. I'll have to look for this book. Cute craft too!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can get your hands on the book! It's so cute!

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday Susen! I love this craft for the kids. We've never read this book, so I'm excited to check out and read with the kiddos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable . I have a couple taco eating, dragon loving kids who would really like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I love how both my 4 year old and 8 year old get a kick out of this book!

      Delete
  6. Ooo! What a fantastic book and activity, we'll have to do this one ourselves for sure! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of that book but I'm definitely going to check it out! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Will try this too! Good thing we have the materials readily available at home ;) Very creative! 'Will try a burrito version too..hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have fun as much fun making your tacos (or burritos) as we did!!

      Delete
  9. Super cute craft and I HAVE to read this book! I just put a hold on it at our local library =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's great! I hope you will all love it as much as we do!!

      Delete
  10. This is my kind of craft, fun and simple. Have pinned. Thanks for sharing with the Monday #pinitparty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the homemade tacos Susen! Thanks for sharing at the Teach Me Tuesday Linky Party:)

    ReplyDelete