Thursday, January 22, 2015

Raspberry Scented Valentine Playdough


Once I learned how to make homemade playdoh I never bought the store bought stuff again!  One of my favorites was our Ice-cream and Birthay Cake Playdoh which uses only 2 ingredients powdered sugar and frosting!  It was so easy to make and so fun to play with!

For another 2 ingredient option you can also try Cloud dough which was definitely a winner with my daughter.  She asked to play with it several times after her first introduction.

This time around I wanted to try adding some scent to our playdoh.  Since I was making this batch with Valentines in mind I thought a raspberry would be nice.


Here's the recipe:

1 C Flour
2 TBS Cream of Tartar
1/4 C Salt
1 C Water
1TBS Vegetable Oil
Raspberry extract
Red food coloring
Glitter (optional)


Add all the ingredients together in a large pot over medium heat and keep stirring for about 5 minutes.  You'll know when it's done when the playdough gets harder to stir. This is also where I added in the raspberry extract.  I didn't measure just kept squirting till it felt right.  It will be hot so carefully remove from the pot and let cool off on tinfoil or parchment paper.  Once the playdough is cool enough begin kneading it and adding in glitter (optional).

I put out the playdough for my kids along with some 'accessories' like heart beads, gems, pipecleaners, buttons and let them go wild!



Here are some of their creations:

My son's creations:


My daughter's creations:






It looked like so much fun I made one of my own:


Here are some benefits of playing with playdough:
  • works on fine motor skills
  • imaginative play
  • sensory experience


















16 comments:

  1. Playdough is such a great recource for learning isn't it! I love the little creations your children have made. They are very creative and it looks like fun! We have never tried anything other than coloured playdough but you've definitely inspired me to give scented playdough a go. Thanks for sharing your post on my facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is our first attempt at a scent too and it added to the overall sensory experience! Thanks for hosting a share day :)

      Delete
  2. I'd love for you to join my first link up: All things Valentines Day! See you soon! http://moderncolorstwo.blogspot.com/2015/01/20-unique-and-affordable-valentines-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there is a child alive who doesn't love playdoh! Thanks for linking up to this weeks #parentingpinitparty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet this smelt delicious! Your kids made some great little play dough creations. Multicraftingmummy #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It smelled wonderful, Nicola! And the kids creations were so fun!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. This is so fun! It would be a great project or even gift for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leesha! I've never thought of giving it as a gift. My 4 year olds little girlfriends would probably love it!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Can you tell me how you got it red?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet this smells amazing!!


    Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great sensory experience all the way around!

      Delete
  8. This playdough looks great! I always make kool aid playdough so I don't have to use all that cream of tartar but this might make me try!! Also sounds super yummy to smell like raspberry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart thinking on using Kool aid, Alison as the cream of tartar is definitely pricey! It really did smelly pretty and added more of a sensory experience. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your comment :)

      Delete