Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Build-A-Word Game


We are finding fun ways to learn CVC (consonant vowel consonant) words.  Recently I came across this post, Build A Snowman Game from Home Grown Friends.  I thought we could use the same concept but instead of building a snowman we would try building words.

Here's what we did:

We used a tissue box which would act as our dice.  Covered it with white paper and wrote the 5 vowels on each side of the dice with one side being a "Lose A Turn."



Next, on a piece of paper I wrote 5 words with only the consonant letters showing.  I used mostly 3 letter words with the exception of one.


How to play:

My kids rolled the dice to see which vowel they would get.  Then, I asked my daughter to tell me the vowel and the sound and then asked her to look at the letters on her list and put the vowel with the correct word.  I didn't think about it when I was writing the consonant letters but realized that some of the vowels rolled could have been added to more than one of the words.

My son was very focused on rolling the dice.  Got this action shot of the dice coming right at me!

My daughter sounding out the vowel she rolled.

Building her word!

This game allowed my daughter the chance to recognize vowels, vowel sounds and blend the sounds to make a word.  The most rewarding was when she super excitedly said, "I can read!"

We played this game while my 9 year old was on winter break and he had fun too by taking it to the next level.  He liked seeing how many different ways he could use a vowel to make different meanings out of the words.

Their are so many variations to how this game can be played like for example including a picture next to the words on the paper (cat, bed, pin, etc.) Since we've been doing quite a bit of CVC learning recently I purposely left the pictures out to give my daughter a bit more of a challenge.

I would love to hear how your children are learning their words and ultimately learning to read. Please leave a comment below or visit us on our Facebook page!

21 comments:

  1. Now this is a winning game! I love games that involves big die. Saving this up for when we hit this stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Natasha! Just makes things all that much more fun!!

      Delete
  2. What a fun idea! We will need to try this at school this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theres Just One Mommy. Let me know how it goes for you guys :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, this is so brilliant! I love the recycled aspect (We keep EVERYTHING!) and how adaptable it is for any level of learner! Thank you for sharing on our Facebook sharing day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Devany! I was glad that both my kids were able to benefit from this especially since their almost 5 years apart! Appreciate you stopping by and thanks for hosting a share day :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Betty! Appreciate your comment. My daughter had fun and that's the best way to learn!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a fun way to teach your kiddos vowels and words! I love seeing kids enjoying learning by playing fun games.

    Thanks for sharing this week at the SHINE Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. having fun and learning is the best way to go! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love your dice! Thanks for joining in with Tuesday Tutorials #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done! I love the recycled part and that kids have something to learn from this!
    Thank you for linking up with the #pinitparty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that both my 4 year old and 9 year old were able to benefit from this game.

      Delete
  10. What a fantastic idea! I love how you've used materials from in your home and that both your children are able to play. Thanks for sharing on my facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really liked that both my 4 year old and 9 year old were able to play and benefit from it. With being 5 years apart it can be a challenge finding things that they can both enjoy together :)

      Delete
  11. This is a great idea. I love when we can make learning into a game!

    Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete