Monday, July 27, 2015

What's the Missing Number?


We have been working on words so much that we haven't done much math lately. This past Christmas I made up a number sequence activity and my daughter seemed to really enjoy it so I decided to do a kind of follow up to that.  (note: before I go on I'd like to mention that yes I realize my daughter is in a super girl outfit and Halloween is still 3 months away! We have been reading our Ladybug Girl books and I think she's being encouraged to 'dress up')

This is a simple number sequence activity where the child identifies the numbers and fills in the blank spot with the next number in the pattern.  Our last number sequence activity went up to number 12 and this time we went up to 20.

Their are lots of cool computer games and worksheets available to learn number sequencing but I thought it would be fun to grab the sidewalk chalk and head outdoors!

Simply draw some shapes, I drew squares, and write the number inside the shape.  Leave one box blank for your child to fill in.  If you want to challenge your child a bit more you could leave 2 boxes blank!







This is such a simple activity that only requires sidewalk chalk and a driveway or sidewalk.  After my daughter filled in the missing numbers she wanted to call out the numbers as she drove over them with her bike.  I am also happy to report that my soon to be kindergartener knew every missing number in the sequence but needed help knowing how to write the number, for example, does the 1 or the 3 come first in 13.  Something else we'll be working on......


With summer here it's fun to take learning outdoors.  Here are some of our other chalk and driveway activities:

Pedal to the Number

Driveway Rhyme and Match Game



6 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I love the superhero cape - my daughter wears hers all the time too. Super girls unite! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my daughter was on a superhero kick for a few days! Even went to a local fair wearing it, lol!

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a great idea! Pinning for when my toddler is just a wee bit older! Thanks for sharing at the #LaughLearnLinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the activity, Erin! Thanks for pinning :)

      Delete
  3. What a fab idea! Thank you for sharing with the #pinitparty

    ReplyDelete