Sunday, March 15, 2015

W is for Watermelon

 
 We are approaching the end of the alphabet for our letter of the week program.  I can't believe it's been 26 weeks already and this week we will finally hit letter Z!

As we are getting to the end I'm losing a bit of steam as these last few letters seem to be the trickiest, especially our friend X!  But that's for another post!

My daughter had fun making a watermelon craft turned simple math activity.

Here's what we used:
Paper plate
Green marker
Pink marker
Black marker
Scissors
Black beans
Double sided tape

For the watermelon craft:
Simply cut a paper plate in half and let your child begin coloring it with the colors of a watermelon! So easy but yet the watermelon turns out so cute!




For math activity:
After our craft I decided to put our black beans to use for some simple preschool math.  The beans acted as the 'watermelon seeds!'

I used double sided tape which made it super easy for the beans to stick.

My daughter had a great big smile when she saw the 'watermelon seeds.'  We have been doing simple addition and subtraction and I thought this watermelon would make adding a bit more fun!




I love crafts and I love learning activities and in this case we got a 2 for 1!  Craft and learning activity all in 1!

16 comments:

  1. Cute! You have me thinking about summer! -Kim @ knockitoffcrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. after this loooong winter I'm ready for spring and summer!! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. You got me over here craving watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! Love this.
    Thanks for sharing at #Pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would enjoy this as much as my kids! Thanks for sharing this fun educational at Inspire Me Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both had fun making these! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Love this! Makes me feel like summer is coming. :) Thanks for sharing with the Frugal Family linky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Summer IS coming, Mother Nature is just making us wait!!

      Delete
  6. This looks like so much fun! Thanks for linking up at the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop! We hope you join us again next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha! We had alot of fun with both the craft and the math activity!

      Delete
  7. This is adorable! This is one of those activities I can guide Emma though (age 5) and the twins can work on the fine motor of gluing and simply creating (age 2)...Love this! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad all of your kids can take part in this activity, Leigh Ann!!

      Delete
  8. This is a fantastic way to combine an educational activity with a craft activity - love it! My son is a big fan of watermelons so this is something I will try with him. Thanks for linking up at the Tots and Toddlers Thursday Link Up Party, I hope to see you again tomorrow at this fortnight's party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! I hope your son enjoys it as much as we did! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete