Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Making Slime or Goo



I've been wanting to make slime or goo for awhile and with both kids home for summer vacation I figured now was the best time.  I've seen several recipes for making slime/goo but I searched for one that seemed to be the easiest for this first time goo maker!  Teach Preschool used only 2 ingredients and since I was looking for simple I chose to use their recipe.

Here are the 2 ingredients used: (I also added a few drops of blue food coloring)


Making it was SO easy and not messy at all!  I am not one for messy projects although I realize the importance of them for my children, this one was not a messy one to put together! In a small plastic container I poured in glue which I used the entire bottle of, about 1/2 cup.  I then poured in the liquid starch which was also a 1/2 cup.  I read enough about making slime to know that it's important to first shake your bottle of liquid starch before pouring and to keep kneading and kneading until the slime gets to the right consistency.  The slime should not be super slimy or wet and should not be too stringy.  After the slime is exposed to the air it will begin to get more solid.  If you have a failed attempt at making slime you may want to check out this post from Fun At Home With Kids which has some great tips on how to fix failed slime!

This is how the slime looked after just making it:
Sorry it's not a closer shot but the slime kind of looks like....brains!  Sorry, but true!

This is how the slime looks after playing with it:



My 8 year old son took to it immediately while my 4 year old daughter wanted nothing to do with it!



In this picture he is burying one of his Lego men in the goo!


Finally and only after the following day when the goo had become a bit more solid did my daughter decide to give it a try.  She said she was putting her squinkies in the 'pool!'  To my surprise she asked for the goo again this morning!



 All in all I am happy that I attempted making the slime because my kids truly have had fun playing with it and using their imaginations on what to do with it!!






2 comments:

  1. I haven't made slime in AGES! This was such an awesome reminder of what fun it is!

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop)!

    Wishing you a lovely week.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! So glad I tried it!!

    ReplyDelete