Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Reading Comprehension Activity


My daughter loves when we have storytime at our house.  Every day we can easy read for 15-30 minutes.  Visits to our local library is always exciting because of the idea of finding new books to enjoy.  There has been one book that is not new to most, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.  Although I've heard great reviews about this book I never made the decision to borrow it.  I have found another fun way to find books and that is at yard sales!  When I see a bin of books I'm all over it!  Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was one I recently found and grabbed it for .25 cents!!  



After the first read my daughter was hooked!  She smiled and laughed and thoroughly enjoyed the story.  She loves how it rains and snows food!  Each night before bed my daughter chooses a book which is alot more fun and easier now that we have our rain gutter book shelf.   Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was a favorite for at least a week straight!

To help my daughter with reading comprehension I made up this activity, here's what I used and how we played:

Giant Post it Notes (these are awesome!)
Permanent Marker
Brown paper bags
Prizes for bag

This was such an easy set up.  I had a list of questions I asked my daughter about the story and wrote 2 choices to each question onto the Post It Notes.  After I read the question my daughter had to choose which was the correct answer by jumping on it.



At the end of each path I taped a brown paper bag, if she chose the right path she would receive some goodies I hid in the bag.  If she chose the wrong path the bag would be empty.  She chose the correct answers so she got the prizes on the first try - had she not we would have just kept playing until she got it right!



This was a really fun activity that helped my daughter with her reading comprehension and got her moving at the same time.....and a little prize at the end never hurts!!

7 comments:

  1. Love this idea! We will be trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! We will be trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great one! I love that it's so perfect for active learners (as most younger kids are!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! My daughter had a lot of fun with it and the prize at the end offered some incentive ;)

      Delete