Thursday, September 11, 2014

Acorn Cap Jewels


These acorn jewels are so pretty and I knew I had to try them since I first spotted them on Kiwi crate.

It's getting to be that time of the year again......acorn time! Our neighborhood oak trees start dropping tons of acorns around the first to second week of September.  Now is the time to start thinking about what to do with all the acorns that might start to fall in your neck of the woods!

Ever since finding out about this fun craft my kiddos collect not only the acorn but the caps too!

The acorns my daughter picked after just one outing!  We added many, MANY more!


My kids after their 'acorn challenge.' Counting and picking out the good ones!


Here's what you'll need to make your own jewels:
Acorn caps
Markers
Glue
Play dough or rice
Patience.....see below!

This craft is super duper easy.  Simply pick your caps, color the inside with a marker, fill the cap with glue and press the acorn caps into play dough or rice so that the caps have a place to live without falling over for the next 2-3 days, as this is the amount of time it will take for your acorns to dry.  This is the part that requires patience! It is SO worth the wait because once these beauties dry they look so pretty!

We simply display them as an autumn decoration but I've seen how some people will play match games with them or use them as counters. Your kids might also decide to share their jewels with friends or family!

Whatever you may decide to do with them one thing for sure is they will look pretty and add a festive touch to the autumn season!

These are our acorns displayed on one of our tables.  

Happy Autumn!





34 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I'm going to have to go search for some acorns now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashlee, my daughter just can't get enough and now we're making another batch to share with Grandparents!! I hope you find some acorns to do this activity with!!

      Delete
  2. These are beautiful! Will be trying this for sure with my girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have so many acorns around our house...My children would enjoy doing this (and going on an acorn hunt!) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - my 4 year old asks every single day to go and pick acorns on our walks. We are going to be making more to send to Grandparents! I hope you and your children enjoy this!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the great idea! We love gathering acorns around our neighborhood, too. I love simple crafts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I am thrilled that you tried it and enjoyed it! We're doing another batch soon and sending to Grandparents!!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love this Susen! Such a fun fall activity for the kids to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so beautiful. My kids even the big ones would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just stepping on a bunch of acorns the other day and wasn't too happy about it. Now that I have something fun and creative to do with them, I'm looking forward to seeing them! Thanks for the great fall craft activity idea--I pinned this and hopefully we'll get to try ti out soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have some to do this craft with, Carrie! Have fun with it!!

      Delete
  8. These are so pretty and this would make a great craft for me and my daughter to do. She loves to paint, so this will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, enjoy! They are fun to make and so pretty to look at and play with!

      Delete
  9. This is such a great idea for using acorns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great activity! I'm bummed we don't have any here. I know my kids would love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun activity! Sorry none in your neck of the woods.

      Delete
  11. My kids would get a kick out of making these:) Thanks Susen for sharing them with us at last weeks Teach Me Tuesday Linky Party. I hope you're able to join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how pretty your acorn cap jewels are! What a great fall activity :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! And who would have thought to make art out of acorn caps? Thanks for linking up with Family Fun Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love these! Thanks for sharing with Tuesday Tutorials, have scheduled in a share for it on fb too x

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are SO pretty!

    Thanks for linking up to TGIF =)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun idea!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We did this and the kids loved it! Thank you for the great idea. I loved how the colors became more vibrant as the glue dried. So fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I am thrilled that your kids enjoyed this activity! We are continuing to collect more as my daughter can't help herself and so now we are sending some to the Grandparents!!

      Delete
  18. These are so pretty! I just wanted to let you know I have a kids activities submission site (Simply Creative Kids) and I am linking to this post if you don't mind. You are welcome to submit your projects to my site if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyssa,
      Thank you for your comment and thank you too for linking to our post! I will be coming by to check out your site!

      Delete