Friday, January 2, 2015

Winter Diorama


Both of my kids have always enjoyed making Diorama's.  Any shoe box that comes into this house finds a place of it's own because for certain it has diorama written all over it!

A diorama is a three dimensional miniature scene.  We have always made our diorama's using a shoe box but you could use other things like a paper plate, a large can or jar or just the lid to a shoebox.

Our interest in diorama's first came about when my son was about 4 years old and watched the television network, Sprout.  During commercials Sprout t.v. shows a child with their diorama and my son had an interest to make his own.  Actually, one of my son's diorama's is still being shown on Sprout t.v. to this day (4 years later!)

Our most recent diorama is one with a winter theme.

 Here are the materials we used:
Winter stickers; snowman, penguin and reindeer
Foam snowflakes
Star confetti
Popsicle sticks
Ornament string
Glue and hot glue gun (not shown)
I can't tell you what we used as the 'snow' but I found it in a ziploc baggie in my Christmas bin and it worked great!



We started off with this shoe box:


Since the stickers we were using were not colored in my preschooler first began by coloring them and attaching them to popsicle sticks.  (sorry didn't snap a photo of this!)

We also added our snow base by painting on some white glue and adding on our 'snow.'



 We chose to have a night time sky so we used black construction paper and added stars to our sky by scribbling with a glue stick and then sticking on tiny star confetti.


 I used a hot glue gun to stick our popsicle stick friends onto the snow and for our snowflakes we just used some glue, attached the string to the snowflake and used more glue to hang snowflakes from the top of the box.

Finally, since we usually share our diorama's with Sprout, simply by uploading a picture to their website, we added the Sprout logo to the back of our diorama which is a requirement when sharing with them.

Voila, Shoebox Diorama!


Here you can see the other Dioramas we've made.








22 comments:

  1. Really cute! I know my kids would love this- thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dioramas can be so much fun! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Super cute. I love how you have the snowflakes hanging in there. She did an awesome job :) I have never heard of sprout, will have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once Sprout airs these dioramas they make them move to which is even cooler! Thanks for stopping by, Sheila!

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous idea! I've not seen these before, but I know my 5 year old would have lots of fun doing this. Have pinned, will try! #ParentingPinItParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your 5 year old has as much fun as my kids have had with dioramas! Thanks much for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. That looks gorgeous - as is the photo after its been made. Some lovely ideas and finishing touches to it. Thanks for sharing within the parenting pin it party. Really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome idea! love how happy she is to share too :) We have a new month long craft challenge, this month bottles/jars but I know a month soon is cardboard so hope you will link this up then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crochet Hooks! We'll definitely try to link up!

      Delete
  6. Wow! They look brilliant! I need to show my kids your pictures and hope they get inspire! Thank you for sharing it with us #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen! We have Sprout TV to thank for inspiring us! Such a fun and creative outlet for the kids!

      Delete
  7. This is so cute. My daughter is already planning the Easter diorama they do for a competition at school #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun, Louisa!! Thanks much for stopping by :)

      Delete
  8. So much fun! I love what you guys did. It looks like the kids really had a lot of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love dioramas! Thanks for stopping by, Heather!

      Delete
  9. I love dioramas and you just inspired me to do one... now what topic?! We have a winter unit coming up in science. Maybe we'll do a winter one too. We're also studying Egypt. That would be a really cool one to make!

    Thanks for sharing and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Jennifer! Dioramas are so much fun. Egypt, I would definitely opt for that! Please let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete
  10. This is such a great idea! My kids would have a lot of fun with this!

    Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete