Saturday, April 16, 2016

Who Am I? A National Geographic Kids Book Activity


Each month my daughter brings home the Scholastic book order forms.  I love how she sits down and circles the books that she wants.  One of the books she circles every time are these National Geographic Kids books.  My daughter is in kindergarten and the books are perfect because they are in line for pre-readers.  This series of books are great for kids as they explore a child's interest and motivate their minds to want to read.  National Geographic for Kids is considered informational reading, which is critical to success as the child progresses through school.  This series of informational books also helps a child learn about the world, while helping them with reading comprehension.  There was also another book I included not in the National Geographic Kids series, which goes to show that you can do this activity with any of your childs favorite book(s)

This Who Am I activity was an extension to these books to help with comprehension skills.

I simply copied the covers of each of the books we ordered, laminated them, cut out and attached popsicle sticks to them.




Next, I made up a list of questions.  Things like: "which animal hibernates in the winter."  OR "which animal is an amphibian."  I made sure to ask questions about each of the animals in the series we have.

It really made my daughter think about the animals we read in each book, working on her comprehension skills.


We also tied a craft into this activity by using the frog book and made our very own frog craft.

What you'll need to make this paper plate frog:
Paper plate
Green Construction paper
White Construction paper
Green paint
Paint brush
Tape
Scissors
Black crayon or marker
Hands
Pencil
Yarn


Start off by painting your plate green.
While your paper plate is drying help your child trace their hands.  Once the plate is completely dry, use some tape and attach your child's cut out hands to the bottom of the plate.  This will be the frog's feet.
Next, cut out 2 circles from the white construction paper to serve as the frog's eyes and draw black dots in the center of each circle.  Attach to the top of the paper plate.
Take your black marker or black crayon and draw a smiley face.
Finally, take your yarn, attach to the back of the paper plate and hang up.



If you are looking for an educational book series for your pre-reader this National Geographic series is highly recommended.  

Note: The thoughts in this post are strictly my own




4 comments:

  1. As a teacher, I know just how important it is to work on those non-fiction reading skills. I love this activity! What a fun way to practice comprehension skills. I need to get my hands on some of these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tiffiny! We had alot of fun with it and we go back to it quite a bit.

      Delete
  2. So cute! That's such a fun activity. My boys love non- fiction books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mother of 3! My daughter loved finding the correct animal and holding it up!

      Delete