Sunday, February 22, 2015

Math Frame Learning


For Christmas we received one of those memory/match games as a gift and as I was popping the cards out of the frame I thought what could I use these for?


I decided to use them for some math equations.  It adds another dimension instead of just printing out a sheet of paper and handing over a pencil.  Since Valentines day was near the date I made these I decided to use these hearts from Creekside Learning instead of simply using a pencil or marker.  

Here's what else I used to re-purpose these memory card frames:

Various colors of construction paper
Glue stick
Marker
Stickers

Here's how they looked after gluing on the construction paper:


Since my son is working on multiplication and division those are the equations I used for his frames.

He figured out the answer, sorted through the numbers on the hearts and placed the correct heart in the last box.



For my preschooler I used easy addition and subtraction frames:



The same concept was used with my daughter but because of her age I used stickers to make it more fun and math friendly.  



What's great about these frames is that they are sturdy enough to be re-used.  After my kids finished these math activities I easily peeled off the construction paper (don't use to much of the glue stick and the paper comes off pretty easy!) and have stored the frames away in our learning closet to be used again. 

I believe that using these frames did offer a different dimension and that my kids were more engaged than if I just used a plain old sheet of paper and a pencil.

Next time you receive one of those match games think twice before tossing those frames!







13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea and way to use something that would normally be tossed out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I just couldn't toss them and now I'm glad I didnt. Appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea. I love how it was tailored for both kids. Next time I get some games where we have to pop out the pieces this will be something we try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Natasha! I just knew I could use those frames for something!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really awesome idea! I will have to try this with my little guys once they are a little older. I am all for re-purposing stuff and really dislike throwing anything away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bismah! I just couldn't stand the idea of throwing these out knowing it was just a matter of time before I came up with an idea for them! Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you on the sunnydayfamily link party, and what a fun idea. I've always hated throwing those frames away, but never thought of what to do with them.

    Marianne
    www.preciselyhousewifely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne, thanks for stopping by! I couldn't bare to toss them and to think I almost did, lol! Glad we were able to re-use!!

      Delete
  7. I love recycling items, and this is a great idea. The use of stickers is a great idea for preschoolers. Why can't I think of things like this. Thanks for sharing on Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great way to use those punch out page thingy's!


    Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Rose! We had alot of fun learning this way! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete